Lab 2

For lab 2, I choose to take a look at “The Delek Achives”. This project is a research initiative by the Delek Education Foundation that intends to identity and shine light on religion-based discrimination in India’s schools. This project is different from most by the way it uses real first hand accounts of discrimination rather than data from surveys. Most stories from the project are written by people who are directly associated with the education system in India. The posts are usually concerned with deeply traumatic experiences that come from teachers, students, administration, and even parents. The hope of the Delek Archives is to reimagine the act of archiving as an open collaboration. The project aims to demonstrate that discrimination is just as much a personal narrative as it is a systemic pattern.

I like the approach this project takes. It uses a story to shine light on discrimination rather than relying on data to tell how horrible something like discrimination is. I think people respond much stronger to a personal anecdote than to data. To me, this project is successful and more projects dealing with emotional matter should consider a personal narrative approach.