Welcome to Fall 2020

Welcome to Digital Humanities in Religious Studies, Fall 2020 edition! I for one am excited for the semester and I hope you are too.

I hope you have been following the Religious Studies blog over the summer for news on how we are approaching the fall semester. If not, go ahead and read our department plan for running a safe semester.

A few things to let you know before we begin on Thursday.

First, given the uncertainty surrounding the semester and the fact that at some point you may need to isolate, this course is being run as “remote first.” This means that regardless of what happens, our primary platform for interaction will be digital in the form of Zoom calls and a course Slack channel. Think of it as prep for working from home for your future jobs.

Second, I have been following the news and am making the call that we will begin the course with no “in person” option. This means that on Thursday, August 20th, I will see you in our Zoom meeting room and we will talk through the nuts and bolts of how this is going to work. You will receive the meeting room link via email and Slack.

And finally, the syllabus is live here on the course website so you can look around to see what I am planning for us this semester. The course is be structured with Tuesday discussions and Thursday “labs” to give us a mix of theory and hands-on technical work every week.

Please email me at any time – jeri.e.wieringa@ua.edu – if you have any questions, concerns, or particular challenges with regards to the fall semester.

I am looking forward to meeting you, virtually for now and in person in the very near future.

– Jeri