Lab 2

I chose to review the “The Anti-Eviction Mapping Project” (AEMP) digital humanities project. This project’s purpose is to identify and map areas where gentrification has happened and map areas where evictions rates are high. This project also provides a clearinghouse of information and resources for those who are threatened with eviction. The project uses a variety of presentation tools such as maps, software, media, visualizations, reports, murals, magazines, books, and oral histories. The information is gathered and shared through collaboration and processed by the roughly 30 volunteers that work with the AEMP. All of these materials are analyzed and provided to the public to advocate for housing rights.

I found the project description to be detailed and the rationale for the project necessary given the housing crisis in many large cities. This project originated in the San Francisco Bay Area but has since expanded to other cities across California as well as in New York City and Brazil. While the data model may currently be limited to a few select locations, I think the method of collection of data can be applied anywhere. I also like the use of various presentation tools consisting of digital and non-digital materials, which makes it easy for a wide range of users. This project is also a great example of how social experiences/issues can provide the basis for a digital humanities project. The collaborative nature of the project also means that the tools and media used in this project can be applied globally.

Posted in Lab